Progress Report On Our Movers & Shakers

October 10, 2011 by

Last year I did a forecast of Upcoming Movers and Shakers to look out for this year and while some didn’t do as well as I had expected, there’s still something to write home about. Let’s see how far or closer I came to hitting the bulls’ eye.  Read Original Story HERE.
Here is last year’s list in order of progress…

6. Venim: Well, let’s just say there’s nothing to say, unless I haven’t been paying enough attention. #Next

5. Eric Macheru: I got a chopping for including him last year, nonetheless, in my opinion he is a rising star, the meaning of which is relative to the individual. Apart from going for castings and gigs here and there (don’t ask me where exactly as I do not know), he’s going to appear in the new SABC 1 Sepedi show Skeem Saam.  The year is not yet over and who’s to say, he might just end 2011 on a higher note.

4. Boity Thulo : Boss lady asked we remove her from the list last year as she was pervasive like hlokoloza on entertainment sites at the time but yeah Boity is worth looking out for and slowly but surely she’s making strides. This year she made the cut for FHM’s top 100 and I felt she deserved to be in the top 50 at least mara ke life goes on. She’s featured in Loyiso Bala’s music vid, the headhoncho summer catalogue amongst others, is co-presenting Caree Media Guide on SABC 1 and before I forget…she also fills Joziburg guest lists the same way Top Billing presenters fill out international passports!

3.Tumi Voster:  She graduated with her Marketing Comm degree in March, Joined YFM as Warrick’s producer and co-host, and joined forces with Fundi K to host the monthly installations of PINK THURSDAYS through MyT Creations.

2. Obakeng or Soul Jock: This year he added radio producer, TV presenter (on SABC1’s Telkom Splash), and Reality TV star on Bedazzled. He’s also the key ingredient at most hot events in Jozi.

1. Lunga Shabalala: After winning the Selimathuzi Presenter search, he was parachuted to IT-Boyhood overnight which is inevitable with the national platform and exposure that comes with a show like that. He continues to walk ramps in SA in between print campaigns. You know you’re doing something right when TOP BILLING magazine puts you on their cover.

Who in your opinion is a Young Mover and Shaker in 2011, locally and internationally and has potential?

By Hastings Moeng     ©

Loyiso Gola Chats About His New TV Show
The Colour Blocking of December – Let the cacophony begin!!!!
That P Square Reign Ain't Letting Up Either!

Comments

60 Comments on "Progress Report On Our Movers & Shakers"

1. Nthoentle on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 12:46 am

Halala Eric Macheru mkhaya waka! U go boy

2. Jellytot on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 12:56 am

Saw that boity had entered for miss sa, is she not too short. Either way she didnt make it through.

3. Jellytot on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 12:58 am

Why do nguni shows always get the best storylines? Intsika was awesome. The adverts for skeem saam look bleak. Im expecting alot of sepetori to be spoken in it

4. malikyoba on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 1:10 am

But eric’s hair though..hai noh.my friend with eeeeeuuuww hair is stil my friend.

5. Nola on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 1:10 am

Used to be a loyal lister to Warras’s show on yfm BUT since Tumi came into the picture its became very dull & boring..I don’t think Radio is for her but whatever I guess

6. crazydoll on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 1:44 am

Is this Macheru guy the hot* 1 who won sokka kings in wat wat yr?So nw he’s an actor?Its been long since iv laid my eyes on his hansome self#goes 2 google him#

7. crazydoll on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 1:46 am

I meant handsome self#typo

8. Dahlia on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 2:01 am

The name on my radar this year has been Phil Mphela. Reading his story about how he started his career and the way he interacts with his fans has been so inspiring. I’m a drama student and want to get in the industry and following his conduct and some of the advices he gives on Facebook it changed the way I think of the entertainment industry and celebs. I am his big fan and wish he could start doing tv so most people can know of him because he is such a breath of fresh air and so open about his life and the industry. I’m cheering him on and can’t wait to see him become the success I know he will be. Some of us could use people of his character to lookup to. I was so sad that he is gay but I don’t care now I still like him even though I have an issue with gays. When I read his qooh.me answers I realise that he could change the way we look at being a celeb, gays and success. Sorry for a long answer but I get so excited when I talk about this guy because most of the time the people I talk to don’t know who he is. Let me stop Lol. That’s my pick for 2011 rising star.

9. soul sista on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 5:32 am

I’m so lost… *serious face*

10. ausimakoti on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 5:50 am

The only person that I know there is tumi because I used to watch that awful yo tv, ai living under a rock doesn’t help at all

11. dejane on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 6:21 am

Yho the hotness that is Eric Macheru!!! I could stare at him all day! Seen him on Vuzu, presenting Pop Bottles Tv, he wasn’t bad at all. Let’s hope his acting is on point.

What’s happening to South African Radio is sad! There’s not much worth listening to. I’d love Warras when he did the 3-6 slot, or was 5-6? Arg it was in the early morning. Now ai I’m not so sure!

Dineo Moeketsi would be on my list. The girl is making waves and she’s good at what she does!

12. Luyah on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 7:37 am

Only knw boity n lungi on this list an the two seem to b growing in the entertainment, so I think they deserve to b on this list.

13. Baby T on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 7:42 am

Halala Macheru halala.

14. Marsh-Mellow on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 7:54 am

I watched an episode of Telkom Splash and I think Obakeng needs to town down on trying too hard to be cool and “dripping swagg”. He really doesn’t even listen to the people he’s interviewing. It seems like he doesn’t understand the sport or has no interest in it, and as a result fails to engage fully with the people he’s interviewing. I love Tumi Voster, she’s really inspirational. I love how she’s helping young girls to network and meet with people who are doing well in the entertainment industry. I wish her all the best!!

15. Noriega on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 8:19 am

Obakeng o Grand I like him on Bonang’s Bdazzled- they are FIRE together. Too funny.

Eric is a sexyyyy boy

Phil Mphela should work HARDER! Watching!!!

16. RufNec on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 8:49 am

i can’t wait for skeem sam.. iesh n that boit chicka she’s on the braai stand.. a kamodirela jong.

17. Chase on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 8:57 am

@dejane wahlahla amehlo as if igundwane libhonyelwe (on) kwenzenjani sisi?

18. Linchpin on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 9:17 am

Dineo Moeketsi (o-access) would definitely be on my list, and sabc1 actress and yfm dj Thando Thabethe.

19. mbulela on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 9:29 am

Phil Mphela has enormous potential and i am expecting him to make it big in the coming year(s).
    Indeed he is a breath of fresh air. Articulate,talented,daring and intelligent.
    I hope he gets a lucky break.

20. Plastic on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 9:55 am

I still dont see why Boity is here, she is pretty and sexy but what exactly does she do? I would rather put Minnie or CC.

21. QueenX on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 9:57 am

lemme Google “Phil Mphela”

22. @PoshBoy™||I Am Who I Am||Afrikan Star||No Limits Soldier||Observer||Hustler Extraordinair - Rainmaker||Dream Weaver||Global Citizen||Carpe Diem - Seize The Magic||22CD64B6 on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 10:00 am

Dineo Moeketsi and Phil BlaqueBoy Mphela are on my list.

These ones are just featherweights.

23. soul sista on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 10:16 am

Indeed he is a breath of fresh air. Articulate,talented,daring and intelligent.
    I hope he gets a lucky break.

DITTO!! DITTO!! DITTO!!

24. Candy on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 10:29 am

*dead* at this—> “@dejane wahlahla amehlo as if igundwane libhonyelwe (on) kwenzenjani sisi?”

I would put Khanya Mkhangisa on my list, that gal is fabulous…

Tumi Voster *yawn*

Mmhhhhh Macheru *sets reminder 2watch the show*

25. Mopedi thwi on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 10:29 am

halalala eric macheru halala waving the seshego flag high.dont think i wil watch dt skeem wot wot,i dnt find it intresting and i hate seeing people speaking sepedi like they are reading.example dt gal wa scandal n those prisoners tsa intersxn.ke kwa ba nshishimisha

26. kakapana on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 10:38 am

Kwaaaaa!!!1 @ Chase.

27. Nthoentle on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 10:48 am

@Mopedi thwi-kabe ka gopola my mother ge ore “ke kwa ba nshishimisha”. Kwaaaa eish, okare nkaya gae

28. RufNec on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 10:55 am

@ Mopedi how.. some of us live mo Jozi bt 4rm the PLK n i actually wanna hear them speak sepedi to the core.. di daram tsa sepedi used to be the iesh on tv back in the days its about time and this mite jus open a platform 4 many who want to be actors bt cum sec @ auditions due to language barier as most tv drama’s are in inguni language so this is perfect..

29. Cinnabon on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 11:07 am

I love Boity!!!

@Chase…Kwakakaaka!!!

30. Sweet soul on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 11:09 am

Off topic: @kakapana are you a sport journalist?

31. namzie on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 11:11 am

I agree with plastic…Boity is hot and all but she’s doing nothing that’s worth mentioning…she just hussles jobs that will earn petty cash the way I see it…botoka MInnie oka tsenngwa

32. kakapana on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 11:15 am

@ Sweet soul no.

33. fongkong on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 11:33 am

BETHUNA, A NIDINA MAGAMA MANINGI! NDIZIBUZELA NJE UKUTHI WHEN ARE WE GETTING A POST ON OUR NHLAKA’S WIN????? BS PLEASE, I SO BADLY WANT TO READ A RE-CAP OF YESTERDAY’S IWTSG’s 13th AND LAST EPISODE!! PLEASE-PLEASE!!

34. Mopedi thwi on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 11:43 am

packing bags for @nthoentle

@rufnek i dont have a problem with sepedi dramas and ke thabile jwang go bona sumbody a ngwadile drama ya sepedi so proud.ke tena ke one thing go peleta,there are actors who deliver sepedi so wel shoki mmola,hariet manamela,rami chuene to name a few.if u have seen paradise stop you wil know what i am talking about

35. Dahlia on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 12:09 pm

Obakeng is kinda fun on Bdazzled but Telkom Splash is just not for him. I stumbled on the show over the weekend and was just shocked that Sabc 1 has added yet another presenter who seems like he doesn’t even know about what the show is about. Do they even auditions this new presenters? Obakeng seems like he just wants to be on camera and couldn’t care less about the sport or the people in it. You keep thinking, is this a sport show or the guy is gonna start talking about fashion.

36. Kusihlwa on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 12:17 pm

@Chase, Tjo, you kill me all the time…kwaaaaaa.

37. Nerlee on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 12:53 pm

death by ‘some1s’ gravatar

38. BGT on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 1:06 pm

I agree 100% with @Marsh-Mellow & @Dahlia

Obakeng is trying way too hard on that Telkom Splash show. It’s completely unnecessary and out of sync with the kind of show he is presenting. In fact, they couldn’t have picked a more inappropriate presenter. They need to put him on an Entertainment or Youth oriented show.

Whoever is approving these casting choices needs to be demoted to the mail room.

39. mbulela on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 1:17 pm

@plastic,i just learnt that what Boity has that you listed is all that is needed to make it.

40. sk1 on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 1:32 pm

Lol @Chase m imagining a rat bein horny….tjo ze thot of it kills me finished , whr hv u seen a rat ibhon…..Tltltl

41. cleve2 on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 1:36 pm

Tjo ithi iyamupromoter UBoity le site. Every week there’s a
    pic/story of her……. safa!!!!

Well Done to Phil, from humble begginings…… halalala!!!!

42. cleve2 on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 1:37 pm

Well done to Tumi…….. aswell!

43. WTeeZ on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 1:54 pm

boity bores me though, shes pretty, but what else does she have to offer?

i agree with @cleve2 its Boity this, Boity that apha.

44. promisez on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 2:16 pm

what is Boity even famous for, pretty she is yes,,,but!

45. Nonkx on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 2:26 pm

I like Tumi Voster, Shes very focused stop hating, and Boity as well shes cool, I dont know how will people grow if you always negative… do you want to see the same people doing everything lets give other people chance so that we can have variety of Mzansi celebs not the same people all the time,

46. Nonkx on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 2:29 pm

It doesnt what they famous for, the writer saw themas mover and shakers of the industry, we tired of reading about abo BONANG give other people chance please, thats why we see the same face on all TV shows becaus, no chance for new people

47. BGT on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 2:31 pm

Is she (Boity) one of Minnie’s friends? I honestly don’t know anything about her. I’m not sure why how I came to associate her with Minnie… I’m probably completely wrong.

Eish mara in my defense a lot of Minenhle’s chomies seem to be fame hungry social butterflies. *hides*

48. Kiki on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 2:39 pm

I had to copy and paste this from last week’s article on JC.

“Boity Thulo and Stevie French will host a new show on SABC 1 called The Media Career Guide. The show is sponsored by the Gauteng Film Commission and takes viewers behind the scenes of film, television, music and radio industries of South Africa. Starting on 10th October at 6pm and it will run for four weeks only.”

I hope more doors open for her. She really needs a break through in this industry. I once saw her acting with Khanya Mkangisa i cant remember which drama though. Maybe it was Soul City or Soul Buddyz.

49. Nonkx on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 3:03 pm

Thanks Kiki for the info for those who dont know about Boity, I hope people will stop hating, Big Up to Tumi Voster and Boity Thulo

50. dejane on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 3:14 pm

Im glad you like my gravatar @Chase..

@Kiki Boity had a role in 4 Play on Etv.

51. Plastic on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 3:44 pm

hayi guys, What is a Mover/Shaker?
    i’m asking re:Boity,
    i so want her to grow coz i like her on twitter, she seems nice

52. J-Girl on Mon, 10th Oct 2011 3:53 pm

u Chase unjani nah? kwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

53. phlydivaZee on Tue, 11th Oct 2011 4:17 am

Boity is special because she is/ was Khaya Dlanga’s girlfriend…qha ke!

54. Nonkx on Tue, 11th Oct 2011 6:51 am

Yesterday I watched Boity’s show, so so dissapointed in Boity’s Presenting Skill, I think she should go back to Yo TV

55. Cele on Tue, 11th Oct 2011 9:42 am

I like Lunga..Hope to see more of his talent

What do you guys think about the young Soweto TV presenters? I like Rhee(Dlalangeringas) and Tumelo Mothotoane (Sistas) and Lawrence Maleka (SoweTop 10). I see potential there and hope they get a break ko bo SABC nyana soon…

56. BGT on Tue, 11th Oct 2011 10:32 am

@phlydivaZee REALLY?!? They seem like such an unlikely couple!

57. phlydivaZee on Tue, 11th Oct 2011 5:49 pm

@BGT.. I saw on one of the articles here on JC.. Remember when she did that Cheesenator nton nton Wimpy ad? Apparently it was directed/written by Khaya himself.. Correct me if I’m wrong bloggers..

58. Cele on Tue, 11th Oct 2011 6:59 pm

No you are right Phly Diva..They dated..Not sure if they are stil together thou* Is DJ Franky and Tumi Voster stil together?

59. lolly on Thu, 13th Oct 2011 7:47 am

Boity Thulo absolutely love- she is gorgeous

60. BGT on Thu, 13th Oct 2011 5:34 pm

Eish ja I remember that Wimpy ad.