Are You Ready For The SA Dance Music Awards?
The Dance Honorary Music Awards will kick off what is to become the South African Dance Music Awards, an event hosted in partnership with the Gauteng Department of Sports Arts Culture and Recreation that officially begin in 2013.
The SA Dance Awards are the brainchild of DJU, the crew of five local musical godfathers – Oskido, Greg Maloka, Christos, DJ Fresh and Vini. The event will serve as a powerful introduction for an awards show that is set to become a firm favourite on the South African dance scene and promises a night of nostalgic house, dance, kwaito and hip-hop music that has paved the way for today’s stars.
“We are excited to be part of this great project that will celebrate and honour our dance music greats, it is innovative concepts like these that will help us realise our vision of promoting artistic excellence in Gauteng and contribute to the growth of our creative economy ” says Gauteng Department of Sports Arts Culture and Recreation MEC Lebogang Maile.
The awards will be held at the Lyric Theatre, Gold Reef City on Sunday the 30th of September and the hosts for the evening will be Thembi Seete and Ishmael Morabe.
What to expect:
- Awards will be presented to the record labels that have championed young musical talent from the beginning, and the record stores that were brave enough to support them and profile inserts where they talk about their influence on the industry.
- There will also be special mentions for the individuals who make the magic happen – the next generation and the game changers.
- Some of the inspirational artists who influenced Dance Music in SA – even before the rise of Kwaito or House music – will be honoured with Special Recognition Awards.
- Each award comes with it’s own special story too.
- The presenters, including DJ Tira, Mandoza, Amu, will talk about how the award winners personally inspired them.
- A story of the Dance Music journey will also be told through some of the most memorable songs from each year and video inserts will bring everything they stood for to life.
- Mixed in between all the awards you’ll be treated to explosive live performances by the likes of Mzekezeke, Trompies, Mdu and Skeem – along with entertaining banter between old friends.
Ticket from R250 – R500 Computicket, it all happens at The Lyric Theatre, Gold Reef City on Sunday the 30th of September.